It's that time of year where people quit their diets, skip the gym more often, have tons of holiday social gatherings going on, and eat all the Christmas cookies. SO many people give up on eating healthy during the holiday season. They fall off track. They go to a party and indulge in all the appetizers, sweets, and booze. The next day, they are tired and hung over and say "screw it" and keep eating junk. It spirals into days, then weeks, then the entire holiday season. January 1st rolls around and everyone's "starting on Monday" back with their diets or exercise routine.
WHY put ourselves through this vicious cycle when we can be consistent 90% of the time during the holidays and use the other 10% for "fun foods", social gatherings, parties, dinners, or even date nights?
Same thing goes for exercise. Sticking to your regular schedule as much as possible will lead to an overall better mood, better sleep, and the desire to choose healthier foods!
Listen, we all know what it's like to feel unhappy or uncomfortable in our own skin at some point. We become frustrated with how we look or feel. ESPECIALLY after a holiday like Thanksgiving. But trust me, it's not permanent. Nobody gains 8lbs of fat in one meal. But I've had clients or friends who freaked out because they saw the scale go up Friday after Thanksgiving. So did mine! But that's normal and due to excess sodium, bloating from foods we aren't used to eating, or even water weight. After a few days, things go right back to normal as long as you get right back to your normal routine the next day.
The problem occurs when a person sees this scale and they focus only on the number they see. Things spiral out of control and they develop a case of the "screw it's."
Instead of focusing on being perfect ALL the time and frustrated when you aren't so perfect with your nutrition or exercise, focus on being consistent 90% of the time. That is one of my favorite rules with my clients! This "perfect" mentality leads to burning out and quitting on your nutrition or exercise plan. The goal is to great success AND balance. Think LONG-TERM. What can you sustain for life, not just for 30 days?
"Being 90% on point 100% of the time will get you way further than being 100% on point 90% of the time."
There's SO many people out there who accept mediocre in all aspects of their lives. People are creatures of habit and want to stay where they are "comfortable" or what is "normal" to them. To truly make a change, it requires you to TEMPORARILY be uncomfortable. Always staying in your comfort zone and avoid things that are challenging or scary or hard ends up leading to a place even MORE uncomfortable in the future.
Think about it like this, if you wait until Monday, next month, the New Year to start eating healthy or going to the gym... you are directly choosing to remain COMFORTABLE but at the same time, making yourself more UNCOMFORTABLE in your own skin. Imagine yourself a month from now after a month of eating like shit all the time... imagine all of the damage you just did to your progress so far. Now imagine how much harder it will be to lose those extra few pounds when you just gained 5 more lbs over the holidays?
If you want to skip the gym because you're tired, it's cold outside, the workout looks hard, you don't feel like sweating or breathing hard, your bed is comfy, you want to hit snooze on your alarm clock, and so on.... you are CHOOSING an more uncomfortable life for the time being.
STOP putting things off until tomorrow, next week, next month. Sometimes that "later" becomes "never."
Sure, there's tons of excuses. "I've got a lot going on" .... "It's bad timing right now" .... "I've been busy" and so on. But there are HUNDREDS of people who are making a change and getting shit done that are busier, have more life stressors, have multiple jobs, or have less money than you. They didn't have to start eating healthy or working out. They DECIDED to. And CONTINUOUSLY decided to. If you want to make a change, you have to work for it. It's not going to just come to you and if you think that is going to happen, you are going to be waiting a long time.
Point is, stop waiting for the right time. There is no right time but NOW.
What are you doing today to be better tomorrow?
DO NOT WAIT. THE TIME WILL NEVER BE RIGHT. START WHERE YOU ARE AND WORK WITH WHATEVER TOOLS YOU MAY HAVE AT YOUR COMMAND. AND BETTER ROOLS WILL BE FOUND AS YOU GO ALONG.
I am passionate about creating a healthy lifestyle for myself & helping those around me.